Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sawaadee-kha Bangkok, Day 1

As you have realized, I blogged about my shopping items from Bangkok. If you have not read about it, it's time to do so now. :) Why did I blogged about my shopping items BEFORE I blogged about details of my trip? Hahaha, I was too ecstatic about the great deal I get from Bangkok, that when I finished taking the last picture of my shopping items, I decided, "Oh, what the heck, let's blog about the things I bought first!". Thanks to all of you for sharing my happiness and joy on my buys :D. I appreciated it very very much. :)

We went to Bangkok (The Land of Smiles, which is so true!) from 13th October to 16th October, by Air Asia's Go Holiday, which cost us about RM1,000 for accommodation and air ticket. Since we booked (very) early, we got a great deal. :)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Us in LCC-Terminal, waiting to board the bus plane. To get cheapest ticket of the day, book the earliest flight, like us, who arrived at the airport before the sky turns bright. Despite waking up early to the airport, we got the chance to witness the sunrise! It made our day. :)

After 2 hours of flight from Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok, the first creature that greeted us at the Suvarnabhumi Airport is this:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
(O__________o) Scared scared~

After clearance, we board a taxi from airport to our accommodation - Grande Ville Hotel, located in the heart of Bangkok (Pranakorm), also known as Chinatown. Grande Ville Hotel were recognized by the Green Leaf Foundation and the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) for their strong commitment towards the protection of the environment.

After checking into our hotel room, off we go to explore Chinatown for food! :p Hungry hungry hungry... We stopped by a Chinese restaurant and ordered a bottle of Coca-Cola and Fanta Orange (yes, it still exist in Thailand!) to quench our thirst.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The traditional Coca-Cola in glass bottle, tin cup and crushed ice.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
He ordered Duck Rice, 30 Baht while I ordered Fish Ball Noodle soup, 30 Baht served in claypot! OMG, the soup's clear and tasty and the noodles are springy (but very little)! As for the Duck Rice - thick sauce were poured onto the duck, served with slices of ginger.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
One is never enough. We ordered another bowl of noodle, and this time - in hot sauce! ;) Served with white fungus, fish ball, fish cake, kangkung, squid and a fried dumpling. Thumbs up, thumbs up!!! :D

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Never hope for bilingual menu. The menu is 100% in Thai language! Thank God that they are only selling 2 kinds of food - noodle and duck rice (I can't imagine what we would do if there are LOTS to choose from), and the shop owner speaks Cantonese! We were crying with joy! :D

Our agenda of the day - SHOPPING! :) It the best thing to do when we got half day left to explore Bangkok.

As we crossed the road to catch a cab, we spotted this:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The girl said to us, "This is velii nice. I like it velii much!". We got attracted (obviously) and we bought 7 for 20 Baht. :)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
It's pancake with cream (the whitish thingy), with shredded coconut, raisin, spring onion (!) and black sesame.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Looks delicous?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Yes, it does TASTE yummy too! :) Crunchy, fragrant and no-so-sweet.

We took a cab from Chinatown to MBK Shopping Centre, formerly known as the Mahboonkrong Centre (Thai: มาบุญครอง), located in Phatum Wan district. It's 8 stories high, with over 2,500 shops selling clothes, electronics, furnitures, handcrafts, mobile phone, massage centres, leather items, oh-my-gawd the never-ending list goes on and on! My eyes were twinkling with happiness when I reached MBK.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Inside of MBK. The shopping spree begins!

There are other shopping centres nearby MBK which are Siam Square, Siam Discovery Centre and Siam Paragon. But if bargain is what you wanted, then MBK is the right place to be!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I found my prince that tamed the fierce lion! :D

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
So tame that I can touch it wtf. :o

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My all time idol - Garfield!!! That's where I learned to eat more, hate Mondays, sleep more and move less.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
OMG, Wei-Hwa found his long lost brothers.

You can't miss taking picture with Ronald McDonalds, in Thai:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
สวัสดีค่ะ. สบายดีหรือ.
(Sa-wat-dii, khâ, sabaai-dii rue?)
(Hello, how are you?)

It's dinner time, and we had this:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Nah, fooled ya! ;) Aren't they perfectly real?

As I mentioned earlier that if bargain is what you are looking for (like my shopping items), head on straight to Level 7 of MBK where wholesalers selling clothes, dresses, handcrafts, souvenirs, and t-shirts bearing vulgar words:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
For only 99 Baht, who can resist it? :)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Other than vulgar-worded t-shirts, there are other decent t-shirts as well, suitable for kids 18 years old and below ;). Above: the Sesame Street gang, my childhood idols - Oscar the Grouch, Big Bird, Elmo and Cookie Monster.

Arrays of framed pictures ready to beautify your home. Sigh, we love to get one but we didn't. Psst, we planned to make one on our own, using pictures we captured ourselves. ;)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Many of my reader friends exclaimed the same thing when they saw the 100% handmade doggie collection: IT'S SO CUTE!!! :) We bought it from MBK as well! The best thing is that we create a new friendship with the creator: Moo!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Moo, the genius behind all these:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Each and every dogs carries different facial expression, and in-detail.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Presenting - Moo! We can't stop ourselves from raising lotsa questions to Moo, and thank God that he answers to all of our questions. ;) Following are the answers to our never-ending questions:
  • Moo doesn't keep dogs as pet! Hah, you must be thinking that someone who love creating minature dogs MUST keep dogs as pet. You are so wrong! :) As Moo is living in apartment, it's hard for him to keep dogs as pets.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
  • Moo's true love is creating minature doggies. But he does create other characters as well if he receives orders from customers.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I loved this sheep so much that Moo gave it to me as gift. Thank you, Moo! :)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
  • His creation that made him famous: 10 mm long beagle in a bottle! Moo confessed that he can only make one super-mini doggie once in a while, as his eyes can be so tiring after the process. And he gave one to me! :D I am the happiest person on earth~
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
  • Moo's creation are available in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah!
  • He tried passing his art and creativity to 30 person (hoping that someone would be able to spread his art), but failed.
  • His tool: colored clay, tweezer, scalpel and lots of concentration!
  • The dib (in Moodib) stands for dog in bottle.
  • Out of 150 different species of dogs, he manage to create 52 miniature clay dogs!
  • Moo's main motive is not about money/quantity, it's about the satisfaction he felt after completing it :).

And here's a story of TJ, a beagle:

As Moo were finishing his final touches on TJ, a small incident happened and eventually TJ dropped to the floor. Moo fumbles akwardly in searching for TJ.
..
....
......
....
..
Oh, guess where Moo found TJ?
Under his shoes...
Squashed to dead.
(O________o)


To remember TJ, Moo created a mini "cemetary" specially dedicated for TJ...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
TJ, rest in peace. Amen.

The REAL dinner time. Yes, Japanese food because it's too yummy to be true. I just can't resist it! What a sohai having Japanese food in Thailand!!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Yayoi (Japanese fast food restaurant), MBK Level 8.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Mua o-cha (refillable), 20 Baht.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Him with his new found lover.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Wei-Hwa ordered Tempura Udon, 105 Baht.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Japanese Pizza (A MUST HAVE!!!), 109 Baht. :D :D

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"Pork on rice" set menu, 110 Baht.

Phew, I'm done with Day 1. One down, three to go. Not to worry, I swear to myself that I wouldn't delay anymore of my travel post (to avoid amnesia and missing info).

Sa-wat-dii, khâ (which also means goodbye). :)

13 *twinkles*:

Akira 思胜 said...

You had a nice trip over there, made us veli veli envy lar, muahahaha... The crispy biscuits are nice wor, I wanna have it too! Hehe...

iamlz said...

sawadii kha~~~

really an interesting post!! XD Am especially attracted to the t-shirts!

Hav fun! ;)

Dragon said...

omg omg..... i want to go bangkok one day!!!!!

Borneo Falcon said...

Been told the local girls there are beautiful. Hope you manage to capture some photos to share here. He... he...

hana said...

omg what is tht japanese meal made from I really thought it was real and was about to ask for the price.

And I love the tshirts. I dun buy them but its so amusing to read them lol. But sadly my parents were with me tht time so I can only look from a distance XD

Carrie Tai said...

Wow! U make me miss Bangkok very much... I miss shopping in Bangkok. I tell u what... the Clinique travel pack u bought is super cheap bcos I got that when i went to Taipei too. And that Moisture surge extra is 75ml, not normal size 50ml... Really good bargain.

bearlim said...

pancake with ice cream look nice!!:)

Tim-Kimokeo Voon said...

WHUA WHUA WHUA!!! I WANT THOSE INTERESTING WORDING T SHIRT WOR...
can postlaju for me pls...my bday is so soon ahhahah!!!

also made me so so so hungry!!!

"秋"天的"诗" said...

so BIG the Garfield..

SO small the dog...

^-^

Johnny Ong said...

i like that coma and fbi tshirt lah

fufu said...

wow... i miss bangkok like crazy~~~

SongKeat said...

I never been to bangkok b4... but i sure do love the moodib!

Ron Jerem Lee said...

hm.. i just back from the china town, as in Yaowarat right? which noddle restaurant is that ?

 

Show Me The Stars Template by Carly Lloyd Designs