Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Up up to the North!

Up up and away! Let's pack up and get going to Penang! Penang - a famous destination among foreign tourist and local Malaysians as ALL of them are attracted to the scrumptious foods in Penang. The last time I went to Penang Island were last year, and I intended to go to Penang (again) this year! Just for the food. Yes, food! I would not go to the famous Kek Lok Si Temple, or the Bukit Bendera, or Batu Feringghi; as I have been there before, at least twice. This time, I will purely concentrate on FOOD, and nothing but food.

AND I WOULD NOT SHOP!
(Chant to myself thrice)
I WOULD NOT SHOP!
I WOULD NOT SHOP!
I WOULD NOT SHOP!!! *arghhhh...*

The trip from Penang to Seremban takes about 6 hours by car. We stopped by several highway rest area for occasional visits to the washroom, coffee, food, and just to take a short break between long drive. Just to keep us sane.

My knees definitely went weak when I saw Baskin Robbins! Tunggu apa lagi? I ordered a scoop of Cookies and Cream (absolutely taste better than Haagen Dazs's) and a scoop of Rich Chocolate ice-creams, served in chocolate dipped waffle cone, sprinkled with almonds!

Okay okay okay... I know! Previously, not long ago I just had Haagen-Dazs and now I am having Baskin Robbins?!? I realise that too! But I just can't resist the urge in my heart every time I saw ice-creams. The urge that said, "Go get it! Go go go!!! If you don't get it, you wouldn't be name as Mei-Wah!".

Watcha waiting for?!? Take a dive into the sea of ice-creams... No doubt that Baskin's Cookies and Cream taste better and has more chunky Oreo cookies than Haagen Dasz.

Another thing that rejuvenate both of us are Dunkin Donut's sandwich and Iced Mocha Coffee! Please don't compare Dunkin Donut's coffee with Gloria Jean/Coffee Bean/Starbucks, it's absolutely cannot be compared. It doesn't taste that bad. Just that it unable to give me the "ohmmph" feel. Personally, I prefer my cuppa Old Town coffee though.


Their too-healthy multi grain bread with cheese, turkey ham and lots of vegetables, which I'm not used to. I'm the curry-puff/nasi lemak/char kuey teow/maggi goreng breakfast kind of person. Hahaha...


After 6 hours of drive, we reached our destination! And our first Penang food were Loh-Bak (things deep fried to perfection, dipped in special chili sauces) , popiah, cucur udang, dim sum, char kuey teow and iced cocoa drink at Padang Brown Hawker Centre... ALL recommended by Akira the Food God! Yes, you got it right! I met Akira on my first day to Penang and he was so nice to bring us for local food (not the over-charged and not-so-delicious food in tourist spots like Gurney Drive).

Food food glorious foods!
Popiah!
Steaming hot fresh Dim Sum!
Char kuey teow!
Loh bak!
Cucur udang!
Iced cocoa!

*slurrrppp*

This special drink, named as "Pat Pou" Char (as told by Akira) were only available in Penang. It is actually "pat pou" (please read it in Cantonese) mixed with milk and it taste special and refreshing! Psst... "pat pou" tea is actually Akira's most favorable drink!

I LOVE "PAT POU TEA" TOO!

Akira meets Wei Hwa and Mei-Wah, face to face! I am so happy to meet you, Akira. You are friendly, funny and knowledgeable. You definitely know a lot about food! And I mean LOTS OF IT!

Hey, we are not bidding each other "bye-bye" yet! There are lots more to come! It's only day ONE! Akira has lots more to show us around...


Aih... I don't have to keep the suspense as Akira has already blogged about it. Click here to know more.






Aiyar, no more suspense already... (T______T)

14 *twinkles*:

Akira 思胜 said...

Haha, sicne when I have been honoured the name Food God?

That is so nice to meet up with you and Wei Hwa, and I'm so happy too!!! ( ^____^ ) Y

You are welcome to come Penang once again! I would love to be you host again and again!

Unknown said...

Ya...I am so happy to meet Akira. It's so special that blogging can also meet lot of friends from other places. Had a nice holiday and good food with you when we were there. I'm sure we will go there again just for the delicious food.

Everyone commented in Akira blog claimed that we looks like brother. hehehe...even you said so. Reli ah?? The one with the cocoa drink in front looks alike lo...hohoho

Geralvin said...

The food seems so delicious. Thumbs up

Geralvin said...

Nice ur blog, wanna link?

-waiseng- said...

I'm so attracted to Baskin Robin's icecream~~~! and also the sandwich. It has been a long time having sandwich as breakfast.

Anonymous said...

I love Haagen Daz more than Baskin Robbin 31.... hehe

Barbie said...

Aw! My stomach is making noise rite now, Mei Wah! Cheese!!! and the ice cream sprinkled with almond!!! Yum Yum ^ ^ Penang Penang ^ ^ Mei Wah, Wei Hwa, Akira ^ ^ cheers

Dragon said...

wah... u shd call me mar..... i already told akira, why didnt ask me out to join u guys. next time must call me ya. hehehe.

Anonymous said...

happy to hear that u enjoy our little piece of land....

weight gain?..... nothing wrong? right? haha....

msazyla said...

this is too much to bare babe... FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

laydeylike said...

ui seh meet friend through blogging already!! I dont know how would it be leh..~~

Kikey Loo said...

i miss Penang foods!!!!

Mei-Wah said...

oh my... so many comments that i have not reply yet! so sorry... (T_____T) here it goes...

dear akira: you ARE the Food God! it is obvious from your blog itself! hehehe... thank you for your warm hospitality and friendly welcome!

dear dearie: yes yes yes... both of you so look like brothers! (^____^) hehehe... and we did had a great time there when we meet akira! blogging are amazing. we can meet people of all places!

dear alvincheng: THANK YOU for your encouragement!

dear waiseng: their sandwich is not that delicious though. the ice-cream is heavenly...

dear choy yin: i love all kind of ice-creams! mauahhahaa...

dear barbie: if i do go to cambodia someday, i would definitely love to meet up with you! (^_________^)

dear dragon: yup! next time will sure ask you and akira out! i will definitely go to Penang again! i never get bored of Penang... (>_______<)

dear huat koay: absolutely nothing wrong! hahhaa... will sure lose the weight gained. but the experience of eating great food - priceless!

dear ginger: so glad to hear from you dear... it had been a long time since you appeared in the blogoshpere! i missed you! when you wanna get marry lar?

dear clara: it would be great lor! (^______^) if i meet you in KK, it would definitely be great too!

dear kikey: i miss penang foods already too! hahahaa...


Phew... that's it, replied all the sweet and lovely comments... thank you all for your comments, encouragements, care and attention to me all this while... it had been so great to know all of you through blogging!

GeOk kEE好きな♡ うち said...

hehe...finally i hv time back for blogging...
Walaooo...ur ice cream...slurpppp!
Im sure every 31st of month u will go Baskin Robbins, right? keke
Hey, I think beside of Food God Akira, U will be the Food Queen ^^

 

Show Me The Stars Template by Carly Lloyd Designs