Sunday, June 1, 2008

"Kuey Teow Th'ng"ing

HAPPY JUNE, EVERYONE!

Sorry lah, this post is so backdated but I insist on sharing this... :)

On a fine Sunday morning, in a fine place called Penang (the pearl of orient), we went to a not-so-fine place called the Chinese Wet Market, right in the middle of Penang town. Why not-so-fine? Because it's so hot, crowded and I'm sweaty! (T__________T) I hate me being sweaty, because I hate fumbling for tissue or hanky. One thing you don't know, is that I SWEAT EASILY! :x

But in the end, despite the sweats, crowds and wheather, everything is so worth it, because we found ourselves some fabulous foods! :$

He ordered Wan Tan Mee and Lime Juice.

I ordered the Penang famous Kuey Teow Th'ng, and a shot of caffeine (iced coffee)!
I can't go on with my day without a cup of coffee... :(

Anywhere in Penang, you will be able to see lotsa stalls selling Kuey Teow Th'ng. But this particular shop in Chinese Wet Market, almost anyone who entered the shop ordered Kuey Teow Th'ng. What is so special about the dish?

Kuey teow (rice cake strips) also known as sha hor fun, hor fen or shahe fen. It's white in color, broad, slippery, elastic and chewy. Kuey teow is popular among Chinese community where it will be fried or soup. ;)

What I ordered here is soup type, where kuey teow are served in delicious clear soup served with few slices of duck meat, handmade fish balls and spring onions! Their handmade fish balls are so delicious that I ordered extra 8 pieces! *slurrppp*


I love, I love, I love Kuew Teow Th'ng! It's so delicious and I can have another bowl of it! :) Forgive me as I forgot the snap the picture of the shop's name but you can easily look for it as it's located right in the middle of Chinese Wet Market in Penang town. And if you came over a shop with LOTSA customers (some are standing - waiting for their place), and most of them ordered Kuew Teow Th'ng, then you came to the right place! HAPPY SEARCHING! :k

14 *twinkles*:

Barbie said...

Yeaaah! I'm the first to leave u comment this time :P

But hey, my stomach is making noise again :( So, yeah, Bridge's right. Now I know that dear Mei Wah went to Penang for food in the first place :P I'm I right eh? :P

Ok, dear. Can't wait to read more of ur post ^ ^ *hug*

Dragon said...

I think most of us have the thinking that, koay teow th'ng is for sick people one. hahaha. when we sick, normally we only can eat koay teow th'ng besides the porridge!

But sometimes during rainy days, I will have it too. I want the hot soup! I just have it last night. Hehehe.

古墓街第7号當鋪 said...

AwesomeFood Trip!
Lolx. You also coffee lover?

Mei-Wah said...

dear barbie: yes yes yes... bridge and you said the right thing! i do go to Penang for their food! hehehe... i wanna go to cambodia some day! would you love to bring me around? :)

dear dragon: yup, kuey teow th'ng is the next thing we can eat other than porridge when we are sick! hehehe... but i rather have kuey teow th'ng than porridge IF i fall sick...

dear jerome: ooo yeah~~ imma coffee addict...

tsuey miin said...

i like kuey teow too!but sometime we still can find tasty kuey teow in other state instead of penang..keke..^__^

p/s:redang is really a great place..so bad i din went to lang tengah..our journey are planned nice nice by the resort ad..>.<
crowded?it should be meriah..hahaha

-waiseng- said...

i like kuey teow th'ng too. It's also nice if you eat with mee suah as well. yumm

Beverly's Secret said...

The fish balls.....
mmm...mmm...
I don't want to comment about it, it's toooooo....
ARGHHHHH....

I want....

Totally lost control....


p/s: You lost weight again, don't you?

Tau Sar Phneah said...

arghhhh....pg delights again..i knew where this market is..the coffee shop is in the middle of the market..besides koay teow thng, its famous for wantan mee, curry mee n chee cheong fun..yea..it's koay teow is famous of its homemade fishball..slurp..haha..

Kikey Loo said...

Penang foods......................
i miss u!!

Anonymous said...

looks yummy..especially the homemade fish ball...

GeOk kEE好きな♡ うち said...

I don't know Kuew Teow Th'ng is famous in Penang as well...hahaha. Maybe next time u should go Ipoh try their Kuew Teow Th'ng, taste delicious too!

Oh my...I love handmade fishball!!!

Satkuru said...

ganas ler, hahaha i am staying in penang also dunno the existence of that place. time to hunt for koay teow th'ng :P

Mei-Wah said...

dear sai ling: yes, we can find delicious kuey teow th'ng in other places too... :) but their handmade fish balls are absolutely delicious! that, can't be found else places.

dear wai seng: i don't prefer mee suah though... my mum will always cook mee suah for me when i fall sick. if i eat mee suah when i'm healthy, it will make me think of me during sick time. hahaha...

dear bev: nope nope... i did not lose weight again... :D

dear tsp: yes yes! you got it right! i saw many people eat curry laksa too! with added pig's frozen blood! woo... ;)

dear kikey: penang food misses you too~~~

dear choy yin: yes! the handmade fish balls are one of its kind~!

dear geok kee: ipoh's hor fun is absolutely delicious too!!! espeacially if eaten with ipoh tauge and chicken! yummy yummy...

dear satkuru: go go go... go hunt for kuey teow th'ng and take nice pictures of it with ur DLSR... :D hehehe...

Akira 思胜 said...

That place is famous of the koay teow tng... hehe... not bad, u can find the delicious dish by ur own... hehe...

 

Show Me The Stars Template by Carly Lloyd Designs